Saturday, June 5, 2010

» snow globes

Rock Out Song: Vitamin R (Leading Us Along) by Chevelle

Snow globes.
Who doesn't love snow globes?
I don't think I've ever heard someone say,


"Hey, you know those glass balls filled with water? They're usually decorated and themed to a particular place or interest and when you shake 'em, glitter swirls all over?"
"You mean snow globes..?"
"Yea! Those! Well I hate those!!!"
"Even the ones that play music??"
"ESPECIALLY the ones that play music!"
Is that conversation even possible?
No, I didn't think so.

Which leads me into this next happy topic of snow globes. Love em or don't care about em, they don't make anyone angry. In fact, I like them so much that I collect them. (Fun fact you probably didn't know about me.) I have over 30 snow globes and I've been collecting since my San Francisco marching band trip (yes, yes, one more fun dorky fact about me..). That was 2003 (see photo right) .. I have snow globes from other years prior, but San Fran 2003 was when I actually said to myself "Hrm, I think I'm gonna start a collection of these."

It's a bulky collection to say the least.

So, how did I get on this topic of snow globes? Well, my parents just got back from a cruise and got me one as a souvenir (see Flamingos left). I mean, they're fun to look at and shake. I have a few that play music and when I feel like being nostalgic, I'll wind them up on occasion. The snow globes I own aren't limited to just trips and vacations, I also have a few from holidays like Christmas and Halloween. I think all of my Christmas snow globes have a penguin on them somehow (either carolling or ice skating haha) and my Halloween (see Pumpkin right) plays a tune that I can't even think of the title but I can definitely hum it haha. I wish I knew what the song was called, if I find a recording, I'll post it here (but if I found a recording then I would of found of what the name of the song was.. catch 22 with a pinch of fail..)

Anyway! Snow globes make people happy. They especially make me happy because I collect them and think they're fun to look at. They're interesting and a conversation piece. Like, "Hey, where'd you get that snow globe?" "Oh, from my trip to Disney World." "Oh really? When'd you go to Disney World?" "On Senior Trip --" CONVERSATION PIECE DONE. Awkward conversations? NOT HAPPENING!

They all have a story or memory behind them -- even my Halloween one, which my mom surprised me with this past October because I was going through a really rough time. Obviously the Boston, Maryland, San Fran, New York, Mickey Mouse, Six Flags, Busch Gardens, Panama City Beach and Las Vegas ones all have a vacation story (whether my vacation or a friend or family member's) -- but it's always from a happy memory. You don't buy a snow globe when you're angry or hate the trip. Souvenirs are supposed to be fun and interesting.

So the next time you're on vacation and see a snow globe, pick it up, shake it and just look into the water. Watch the glitter swirl around. Wind it up if it plays music. You don't have to buy it like I would, but just think about how something so small and artistically detailed could represent so many memories. Yeah, there are pictures and t-shirts, but it's a little glass and ceramic representation of a location visited. Maybe I'm just weird (you don't need to remind me), but I like them and think they're fun and interesting because (usually) every single one is different.

Looking on the Bright Side: Snow globes are little 3D representations of your vacation memories. Whether you buy them or not, they're an interesting part of a trip (they're always in gift shops) so just take some time to pick one up and take a look next time you see one.

No comments:

Post a Comment