Wednesday, June 2, 2010

» all that

Feel Good Song: Hip Hop Hooray by Naughty by Nature

My childhood show.
My FAVORITE childhood show.
Do you remember it playing on SNICK?! Remember the Big Orange Couch? The Big Ear of Corn? (Kel Mitchell had an unhealthy love for it!)
All That was the pre-teen's version of SNL, with a full cast of aspiring comedians.It geared jokes toward its target audience, yet I -- being, well, 7 at the time -- had no clue how adult the content was or how many movie/TV/or character references they actually made. "Detective Dan" was clearly a play on Sherlock Holmes or any other goofy detective. Maybe I knew that, maybe I didn't, but I'm sure there were jokes and references that went right over my head.

This goes on to my explanation as to why All That is today's blog entry. Besides it being an enjoyable nostalgic memory from childhood, I was actually reminded of it from my local radio station, Wired 96.5, when they announced they were hosting an event called "Naughty Night Out" with Naughty by Nature!

Now, I didn't instantly recognized the 90's hip hop trio from their popular hits like "O.P.P." or "Hip Hop Hooray." No, instead, I recognized them from their several musical appearances on All That. I distinctly remember the episode they were on, it was the library sketch and Lori Beth Denberg played the crazy loud librarian, equipped with a fog horn and always screaming "THIS IS A LIBRARY!" And she'd ask "Who are you!?" and the trio replied, "We're Naughty by Nature." (insert crowd applause) and Lori Beth said "I KNOW you are *air quotes* naughty and it is your *air quotes* nature to do so!" And thus ushered them out and to get on stage and perform.

Do you remember? Am I the only one!?

It just put me in a good mood to hear about that band and then I associated it with a great TV show we all know and love. If you can remember and enjoy this nostalgia, take some time and reflect on the 90s old school Nickelodeon. What episode do you remember? Which sketch was your favorite?

Ross Perot - Cooking with Randy and Mandy - 5 minutes! 5 minutes! - French with Pierre Escargot - Ask Ashley - Detective Dan - SuperDude - Coach Kreeton - Good Burger - Vital Information - Miss Piddlin

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_All_That_sketches

Check 'em out. Enjoy. Reminisce. Smile :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment